Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Joys of Food

No matter what life brings, I seem to always find solace in cooking and eating well. I had a fun evening tonight with Dave and Torey, watching a three episode marathon of Monarch of the Glen--great fun, and I'm very grateful to my westside buddies. In the back of my mind the whole night, I kept thinking about what I needed to do when I got home. I left at around 12:15 tonight, and before I went to bed I wanted to make a brine for the pork tenderloins I bought today and am planning to roast for dinner tomorrow night.

I love brines--they make dry meat moist. I modified the brine that Thomas Keller uses at Bouchon, which incidentally is the source of the best roast chicken on the planet. The secret to the best roast chicken on the planet? A salt water brine. For the pork tenderloin I decided to use a half gallon of apple cider in place of a half gallon of the water the recipe calls for. The result will be pork tenderloin infused with apple cider. The rest of the brine calls for a cup of salt, 12 bay leaves, lot's of garlic, two tablespoons of peppercorns and a sprig of thyme, rosemary and parsley. I just have thyme in my garden right now, so that's what I used. I'm letting the brine get filled with flavor overnight, and in the morning I'll pop the tenderloins in and let the brine work it's magic. The result should be well worth the time: moist, flavorful tenderloin. And easy as can be. I'll probably put some sort of a dry rub on the pork before I pop it in the oven. This is an amazingly tasty meal that couldn't be easier, and I can't wait for dinner tomorrow.

I bought a bunch of apples today too. I see an apple pie in my future on Sunday. You've got to have something to look forward to, right?

Thank God for food! I think it might keep me sane.

No comments: