Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A strange sight

Driving this morning on southbound 131 I saw a policeman pulled over on the right side of the road. I didn't think much about it, but I automatically took a passing glance over towards the side of the road as I drove by and what I saw was one of the stranger scenes I've ever witnessed in my life. The policeman hadn't pulled over a car--he had pulled over an elderly woman with a walker.

Now, I just had to scratch my head when I saw that. When you see an elderly woman at the side of a three lane expressway, with her hands on a walker, and no car anywhere nearby where she might have come from, you start asking questions, right? There was something kind of funny about it, but really I think it's just sad. I think this woman must have been completely disoriented and somehow walked down the on ramp that was a few hundred yards from where she was standing. It makes me want to know where she was planning on going, where she was coming from, what was running through her head when the policeman stopped and what the rest of her day was like. I want to know what led this poor woman to be walking along the side of a freeway behind a walker on a January day in Michigan. And I want to know what that policeman told his colleagues and his wife about the strangest person he's ever pulled over in his life.

I think there's a short story to be found in a scene like that, don't you think?

No comments: