Monday, March 24, 2008

Can you be a bit more daft?

I saw an old friend of mine yesterday. We were talking about general stuff, and then talk turned towards staying healthy, eating right, working out, etc. I mentioned that I've lost 50 lbs., and he told me how great he thought that was. Now, this guy has always been fit and trim and never really battled weight. Maybe his weight has swung at the most 20 lbs. outside of his ideal weight in his life time...not 90 like mine has. He's never really struggled with keeping the pounds off, like I have for most of my life. I know he's blessed with a faster metabolism than me.

After I told him about my 50 pounds, he followed up by saying one of the most inane things anyone's ever said to me.

"It's pretty easy, isn't it?"

At first, I thought he was kidding, but then I realized he was serious.

I told him, "No, there's nothing easy about it. Every pound's been hard." I said it kind of with a grin on my face, and my frank comment made him laugh. We chuckled, and then he said, "No, I mean it...it's been pretty easy, right, once you set your mind to it, right?"

Hello? The answer to that is a big NO! There's nothing easy about it. Every stinking pound I've lost has been made by a reasoned choice, a choice between eating less or eating what I've always eaten, or exercising or not exercising. A lot of sweat and self discipline has gone into every one of those 50 pounds that I've lost, and it's a hard choice one has to make at every meal you eat. To hear some skinny guy suggest that losing weight is easy is quite honestly insulting. He must believe that anyone who is overweight is merely lazy.

I'm still shaking my head over that one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I sympathize.

My oldest brother, who also has never been overweight, thinks much the same way.

Torey said...

Yes, that is daft. Way to roll with the daft punches :)