Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Home Church Shopping Club

I just sent out nine emails to initiate getting involved in a home church here at Mars. I've been attending Mars Hill for a little over a year, and I feel that I've definitely arrived at my church home. It's far too easy to be a number on Sunday however, and I'm beginning to feel a desire to become more involved. Thankfully, I have a strong community of believers here in GR with the Ada and Westside clans, and I'm very grateful for them. I'm feeling a desire however to get more connected with my church community.

But here's the thing: don't you think that joining a group like this sort of requires a period of courtship, to see if it's a right fit? My parents have been involved with the same core members of their small group for over 20 years--that's a commitment, and though it's been rocky at times, it's been a good fit. I'd imagine you need to go on a few dates, as it were, to see if it's going to work out.

Regardless, I took the first step by sending out some initial emails, so we'll see what happens. I'm praying that I'll get connected with the group that God wants me to be involved with.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing these home churches more and more. Have you thought about reading a few early Christian writings to see how the very first home churches were set up? I would recommend "Four Witnesses" or even "Early Christian Writings". You are not alone in your search.