Thursday, April 03, 2008

Procrastination

It's almost 11:00 at night, and I need to practice. I'm putting it off, bopping around the internet, posting a blog about colds, and posting a blog about procrastination. It's not like I haven't played already today--I had a concert this morning down in Kalamazoo, did a couple of hours of teaching, then had two rehearsals. It's just that this week I'm playing alto trombone on Beethoven's Sixth symphony, and I chipped too many notes tonight. I wasn't happy with my playing, so I'm planning on loading up the Berlin Philharmonic and playing along tonight before I go to bed, making sure I nail each note spot on. It's challenging, and when you play alto trombone, you hang out in front of everybody, like you're naked or something. It sounds higher and brighter, relatively speaking, even than the trumpets, so my voice is the dominant voice in the brass section. Fun, but stressful, and tonight at our dress rehearsal the doubting voices in my head got the better of me.

OK...time to stop wasting time and fire up the CD player and play along with Herbert von Karajan and the boys.

3 comments:

Alison Hodgson said...

Did you do it? I hope you did. Sometimes just acknowledging your resistance helps break it down.

You.are.going.to.hit.it.

Break a lip.

Dan said...

Yup, I did it...about three or four times. You sometimes just gotta break through it and get your head in the right place, and I did last night, and I'll do it again this afternoon too.

Thanks for the encouragement...

Alison Hodgson said...

How was it?