Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Cabrillo 2008

Here are a few pictures from my trip to California, in no particular order:

An unknown valley on California 46 between Highway 1 and 101, just south of the Hearst Castle. (I missed the last tour bus after a four hour drive by five minutes. Oh well...the scenery was awesome anyway.)



If I hadn't have stopped for a couple of beers and a burger at a famous Highway 1 restaurant called Nepenthe (formerly owned by Orson Welles), I would have made the tour. (The "Ambrosiaburger" was fantastic, so the castle will have to wait for another year. And I bought a really, really cool watch in the gift shop.)

A shot of Nepenthe from the bar where I sat--it's on the side of a hill that overlooks the ocean. Fantastic.



Here are a few pictures from the Mission at Carmel, CA, founded sometime in the 18th century.




The tallest candle in the top level is one I lit for Meg.




I was able to surreptitiously record this during an all strings piece. This piece features the world's foremost percussion soloist and was written by John Corigliano, the Pulitzer Prize winning composer who also won an Oscar for his soundtrack to the Red Violin. This will give you and idea of what we do. And just for the record, the woman on the podium is one of the best conductors in the country and is a real pleasure to perform under.

OK...I'm off to rehearsal. I'm having a fantastic time--we did a little wine tasting today and tonight after the rehearsal we're going to be grilling some fresh fish and drinking some great wine. Life is good everybody!

No comments: