Thursday, March 05, 2009

More Thomas Merton

I'm reading an anthology of Thomas Merton's writing, on the topic of writing. I recently read the passage below which comes from a letter he wrote to a friend in 1948. It parallels an idea that is fundamental to Merton's understanding of "who we really are," and which has been tremendously helpful in my personal understanding of who I am, and why we're all here.

Because my own individual destiny is a meeting, an encounter with God that He has destined for me alone. His glory in me will be to receive from me something he can never receive from anyone else--because it is a gift of His to me which He has never given to anyone else & never will. My whole life is only that--to establish that particular constant with God which is the one He has planned for my eternity!

Incidentally, I think if I ever have a son, I'd like to name him Christopher Thomas. Christopher, since it's such a powerful name, which also happens to be my middle name, and Thomas, in honor of two Thomas's I hold dear: Thomas Merton and Sir Thomas More. I hope one day I'll get to meet Christopher Thomas M. God willing.

No comments: