Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I am writing again, after taking a bit of a break to organize into some sort of cohesive whole all that I have written and highlighted in my reading. Now that I'm back writing after a break, I'm realizing that writing is like practicing the trombone. If I take a few days off, things might be rusty, but they come back fairly quickly. If I take longer, as I did with this most recent break, the flow and ease with which use and practice brings takes awhile to come back. I'm having a rough start getting back into the flow.

I also find the same internal battles that I have when performing trombone coming to my mind while I write: "Who are YOU to be telling this story? Do you really think YOUR writing will even remotely come close to the writers you emulate? Your "book" is a little farce--just close the laptop and chalk it up to good life lessons for yourself. No one wants to read your supposed 'wisdom.'"

Of course we all know those are lies that come from the Pit. And actually, surprisingly, as I've spent the few minutes typing them, and see these accusations in print, it's even clearer now to me what's going on.

Onward and upward. I have learned from my trombone playing that when the voices of doubt come, I say, "I'm glad you showed up--I always play well when you're here, so thanks for swinging by." Though I don't believe that the vast majority of my doubts about trombone playing stem from any sort of spiritual warfare--certainly some do--in the case of this book, I have no doubt.

In light of this, this is what I'm going to say from now on, "Well, since YOU showed up, with all of that doubt, it just proves that I'm onto something, and doing God's bidding. Thanks for the confirmation. Now beat it. I've got work to do."

As James said, "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." I don't think we realize the power we have against our enemy because we are Sons and Daughters of the Most High God. It's time to keep on keeping on in the resisting department. Fight the lies, baby, fight the lies! God help me!

I feel better already.

1 comment:

kkollwitz said...

Are you on YouTube?