Saturday, November 10, 2007

How to be a good friend

I saw a good friend of mine yesterday for the first time since this summer. He didn't know much about the story with Meg but had heard an inkling from a mutual friend. He asked me what had happened so I relayed the story to him. He's one of those guys who whenever I seem to tell him about something like this, I usually feel worse after talking to him.

"Well, at least now you know where she stands and you can move on. You're gonna be fine," isn't really all that helpful. It's not like I suddenly learned that the pain in my foot was caused by a splinter that just had to be removed for me to be able to walk without a limp. How about just a "Hey, I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm sure it's gotta be tough." Sitting and just listening is never a bad idea.

No comments: