Thursday, November 15, 2007

There are no coincidences...

A couple of weeks ago after church I headed out to the shops by the mall near church to do a little shopping and run some errands. After an hour or two I ended up at the mall and as I headed inside I saw the movie posters and wondered if the movie Bella was playing. This is a movie I'd been meaning to see since my folks had been encouraging me to check it out.

Sure enough, it happened to be playing there and the show time was perfect for me to see the movie. I was able to have lunch and then had about 35 minutes or so to fill before the movie started. I bopped over to Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware as is my wont, and then I headed to the theater.

Once I got in the auditorium I headed towards the back, scanning for a good seat. To my surprise I saw some people I thought I recognized but since they live an hour and a half away, I couldn't imagine it was them but I figured I needed to get closer to find out for sure. As I neared their row I knew with absolute certainty who it was and I decided to go and sit with them.

I walked quickly up their aisle, touched the woman on the arm and surprised her as I said, "excuse me, is someone sitting here?" At first I could see she was taken aback, considering the fact that there were scads of empty seats in the theater. Suddenly recognition entered her eyes and she reached towards me with a desire to hug me, her godson. Needless to say I was blown away to find my godparents there in that theater, at that precise moment.

We all enjoyed the movie and decided to go out for dinner together. We headed over to Carraba's for some Italian food. I had a terrific time catching up with them and enjoying their company. We were all struck with the improbability of running into each other. It was clearly a "God thing" and we all recognized it.

After giving them some hugs and a hearty farewell, I drove away and reflected on the likelihood of running into Mr. and Mrs. C. I shook my head and was struck with a keen awareness of how God watches our steps and that he cares about even the smallest things in our life. In my present state, I can so easily find myself in moments of despair, where I doubt the promises of God and question his will and plan for my life. I have times of despondent thinking where I tell myself that I'll never find another woman I'll love, that my best chance for companionship has past, and that even if the "right" woman is out there, I'll never meet her.

It's clear to me that I didn't run into my godparents by mistake. God was speaking very directly to me through the "coincidence" of running into them. My godparents are some of my parents oldest and dearest friends and I know they have taken their role of godparents seriously--I know they pray and have prayed for me for years. I take comfort in that. They were there at my baptism, over 37 years ago, when I was baptized into the body of Christ, the moment where God called me, the first of his many plans for me. Running into my godparents, not just some random friends from home--it wasn't a coincidence that I ran into them! They were there, witnesses to me becoming a child of God, the two chosen by my parents to pray for me, to help and support them in raising me in the ways of Christ. In these cloudy days I've been living in, running into my godparents in such a seemingly random way shows me that God watches over me, that he guides my feet and my path, and that he's been doing so since the beginning of my life 37 years ago. There are no coincidences, and all of the promises of God apply to me as much as anyone. My future, my dreams, my life and my deepest desire--to find a wife--are ultimately in his hands. Running into my godparents showed me so clearly that God can and does orchestrate events anyway he wants--I don't have to worry about meeting my wife. I simply will, and God will arrange it.

I realize that the truth of this is something that I need to continually tell myself. I need to always return to moments like this to help me remember what it is that God's teaching me. It's hard to live in this state 24/7--it's an internal battle that wages silently on, the battle between trusting God or giving into fatalistic thinking. I suppose that's a battle I'll be waging the rest of my life, but running into my godparents like I did two weeks ago is certainly ammunition to help tip the balance in favor of trusting God.

From Isaiah 43:

16 This is what the LORD says—
he who made a way through the sea,
a path through the mighty waters,

17 who drew out the chariots and horses,
the army and reinforcements together,
and they lay there, never to rise again,
extinguished, snuffed out like a wick:

18 "Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.

19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland."

It seems to me that a God who made a "path through the mighty waters," is a God who can manage to set my feet on a path that will bring me to my wife.

(I'm just hoping it's soon.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent story, Dan.

I love the tone of the scripture you quote as well: "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?" It reminds me of perhaps my favorite moment in The Passion of the Christ when, after stumbling under the weight of the cross, Jesus looks up at his mother and says, "See, Mother, I make all things new."

And ... how was Bella?

Dan said...

Thanks Scott. You know, I've still not see the Passion of the Christ. It came out at a time when I didn't want to have anything to do with God at all and I just haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. I should go and put it in my queue.

I liked Bella. The moviegoer in me would give it a 3 1/2, but I'd like to give it 5 stars for the message. Definitely worth seeing.