Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Alas, Alack

Disaster strikes in the house of Dan. Nothing major, just a problem with attention to detail. I made some caramels this afternoon and at first they were coming along terrifically. They are fleur de sel caramels, caramels that have a little bit of hand harvested sea salt (la-dee-da!) in them which I think would really hit the spot with the salty/sweet crowd. I set everything up before I started since I knew when making caramels you're dealing with really hot stuff and it's best to have all your ducks in a row before you get going. Well, it just so happens that I measured the salt wrong. It calls for just 1/2 tsp. I tripled that and having tried some, all you taste is the salt. There's still time in this day to do it again.

I also made some peppermint bark today. That's easy, but I didn't like the proportions that the lady suggested I use. I decided I needed to add a bit more chocolate, so I need to go back and pick some more up, but I needed to go out anyway. I think I'll pick up some fixings for another kind of bark to take the pressure off feeling like I have to do too much. That's easy and you can have plenty in no time.

Dave P came over to borrow a tool and so he sampled two of my concoctions. He really dug the brittle, especially when it was rolled around the malt ganache. I think these are going to be the best tasting thing I make this year. The other one reminded him of suntan lotion. I gotta say having heard him say it, I agree with him, but it's very tasty. Think pina colada in a chocolate.

This brittle was very cool to make. You boil sugar until it hits 300ºF then add some baking soda. It bubbles up like a kid's volcano science project. You then poor it immediately onto a pan and it sets up looking like an alien world. I broke this up and now I'll roll the malt ganache in this. It's very tasty and very cool.

The rest of the day will be spent making up a few more barks, another try at the caramels, and if all goes according to plan, I'll have some almond candies completed and the malt ganache chocolates completely done too.

No comments: