Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Puerto Rico

My trip is starting to shape up. I'm hitting San Juan, the capital city on the night of February 11. To celebrate warm weather, I plan to smoke a cigar on the beach! On the 12th, hopefully the weather will be nice and I'll be able to explore old San Juan, the oldest city on U.S. soil. I'm planning a tour of a rum factory in there too, and hopefully at night I'll see a good salsa band. The next day I'll head to El Yunque, the only rainforest on U.S. soil. That night I'll be staying at an eco lodge called Sierra Palms. After dinner, I'm planning on taking a kayak trip in a bioluminescent bay. Giddy up!

The next day I plan to take a boat to an island where there are monkeys, and apparently there's snorkeling to do. You eat at a communal table, so hopefully by this time I will have met a few interesting people that I can enjoy some of these activities with, though I'm always content to explore places on my own too.

Then the next day I'll head along the southern coast, stopping for lunch in a place called Ponce, then head on to the western coast for a night in Rincon. That's as far as I've planned my trip so far, but I'm going to be sure to get a trip in to the Aricebo Observatory, that big radio telescope that was featured in the movie Contact.

I'm starting to really get pumped!

2 comments:

Montana Sherry C said...

Wow, sounds like an excellent adventure. I hope you have a great time and I look forward to the photos.

One correction, though. The rain forest you speak of is the only tropical rain forest on U.S. soil. Olympic National Park in Washington features a rare temperate rain forest. Sorry, I didn't live nine years in our rainiest state for nothin'.

Dan said...

Thanks for the correction.

I'm glad I'm not going to be in Washington's rain forest!