Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring


One of my favorite "widgets" on my computer is this one, which I just took a snapshot of at midnight today. It shows the progression of the earth from daylight to nighttime. If you look closely, you'll see the beginning of the promise of summer: longer and longer days. I wish I had taken a picture of this on the day of the vernal equinox. I took note of it that day, and the lines of day and night were perfectly perpendicular, with no curvature between day and night whatsoever. We are beginning the cycle which brings us to the lazy, hazy days of summer. I watched in the middle of winter as the curve which is beginning to creep into the southern hemisphere overtook the north during our deepest days of winter. By the summer solstice, there will be a huge dome shaped curve, with the southern hemisphere dominated by short days and we in the northern hemisphere blessed with hours and hours of sunlight. It's great to see this tangible proof that every day is longer and longer.

No comments: