Monday, October 06, 2008

A Cool Website

On my iPhone, I've spent sometime in the App Store, and I've discovered one application that is absolutely amazing, something that I'll be using for years to come. It comes from a website called Evernote.com.

Evernote is designed to help you keep track of everything and anything, no matter when or where you run across it. It can take the form of a website, of portions copied from a website, from a picutre, or from a voice note.

It's amazing! Let's say you find a bottle of wine at a restaurant that you enjoy, and that you don't want to forget. You simply need to take a picture of the wine bottle, then upload it through the Evernote app on your iPhone and it automatically creates a record.

And the very cool thing about the photos you upload is this: they're searchable. The program is smart enough to cipher the written text inside a photograph and allow you to search for it. So let's say you've had a lot of Chardonnay's, and you want to track the one down you really like, but you can only remember it by the label. Search for Chardonnay, and all of the photos of of Chardonnay will pop because the program recognizes the word Chardonnay in them. Or let's say you can't remember the wine label, but you do remember where you drank it. Evernote also uses the GPS feature of the iPhone to map the exact location where you made the record.

You can also save voice notes, which is what I find very helpful. So often when I'm driving down the road I'll have thoughts about the book I'm writing, but usually they evaporate into thin air since I can't remember them. All I need to do now is to open up Evernote, record my thoughts, and then Evernote uploads them to the website and when I sit down to my computer, I can listen to them.

I really think this is the coolest application I've ever run across. I can't recommend it highly enough!

No comments: