Wednesday, December 10, 2008

You know, I'm just not sure how helpful dating really is for finding your future spouse. I mean it--I don't know if it's very helpful at all. I just got home from a date with an attractive woman, but it's clear it would be a mistake for me to pursue a relationship with her, though there are parts of me that would love to do so. I've got a second woman I'm thinking about, but I'm suspecting the same thing will be the case with her. It would be very easy to have a relationship with each--we could get along fine, I'm sure, and we could have a good time, but that's where things would stop.

Part of me is beginning to believe that I shouldn't even worry about "dating" per se, and completely trust God to reveal to me who my wife will be. If he can make the earth keep revolving day after day, He can certainly reveal my wife to me in His good time.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Here's where the rub: I don't have any interest in dating to "just have a good time."

Alison Hodgson said...

I think the purpose of dating is to learn about the person. There were red flags here, that it sounds like haven't faded, so walk away from an attractive, fun person who you know isn't a match.

It's good that you don't want to date just to have a good time, but if you are interested in dating to learn more about a woman and invariably yourself, you're in good stead.

Dan said...

All I'm saying is that I don't think God is limited by our 21st conventions of courtship. It won't cause me to stop dating, but it is remarkable food for thought. I don't think it's a good way to find a spouse, but unfortunately it seems to be the only way. And for me, things like that invariably cause my mind to begin a-cogitatin'