Thursday, June 11, 2009

Aquinas and the Hallelujah Egg

I've become a fan of St. Thomas Aquinas. I have almost completed G. K. Chesterton's biography of him, and have been overwhelmed, learning about his contribution to Christian thought. His was one of the most powerful intellects to have graced the world, and praise be to God, he used it to defend the truth of the good news of Jesus Christ.

I continue to be amazed at how God leads us. As I was tackling a portion of this chapter tonight that I'm working on, I didn't want to continue. I wanted to move on to other parts of the chapter, and felt that the section I'm working on was really just grunt work that had to be done. I dug in, however, and started to do a little research about Natural Law. I clicked on a website that looked like it would have a decent summary of the history of the concept, and from the start, the article chose to use Aquinas and the Summa Theologica as the sine qua non of Natural Law, around which all discussion must be based. Within the first few paragraphs, they referenced a section of the Summa, and I went to find it, and there I found exactly what I need to have to be able to refute some falsehoods that I am attempting to argue against. In black in white, in the words of one of the greatest thinkers of Christendom, there it was. God directed me right there. It's mind blowing.

(The Hallelujah Egg reference is a reference to family tradition: the Hallelujah Egg is the mother lode on the Easter Sunday egg hunt. The difference with me tonight is that I didn't even really know that I was hunting for this--I was led to it!)

No comments: