Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Sparrows

We are facing difficult times at work, and as a lead negotiator, I'm in the thick of it. We had three days of intense negotiations this weekend, and tonight we shared with the rest of our colleagues the shockingly regressive proposal we received from our management over the weekend. In essence, with cuts in salary, weeks and increases in health care costs, the cuts would equate to nearly 25% of our income.

I find myself at peace, and I realize that this is solely the result of the grace of God, and as a result of the journey I've been on the past few years. I used to be a constant worrier, but now, thanks to God, I am learning to trust more in Him. It doesn't matter if my income is lowered: it's all for my betterment. If I lose 25% of my income, God cares more for me than the sparrows. He will provide, and as Paul says, "I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." The truth of the matter is that the board, and our management, honestly has little control over my life. God oversees all!

When I arrived home from the meeting, I found myself smiling as I walked into my house, thinking that nothing that management can do can truly impact my life in a negative way. If their regressive proposal causes financial hardship, well, that will be a gift from God. So be it. I'm in His hands, and I thank God for the perpetual desire on His part to cause us to turn towards Him, and how hardships are often used as the tools through which we realize our need for Him. We're all in His hands, thanks be to God. I feel a strange sense of joy, since in these difficult times ahead, there's nothing to do but to take each day as it comes, and trust in Him. That's a good place to be, and exactly where I believe He wants us to be.

No comments: